Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance is most commonly written insurance policy in Oklahoma. It is the law that all car owners have a minimum amount of liability insurance before they license their vehicles or drive.

Here is a simple breakdown of what auto insurance covers and what is required by the state:


Liability Coverage:

Liability coverage is required by law in the state of Oklahoma. This covers any damage that your vehicle causes to another person, vehicle or property while driving. In order to be able to drive in the state, you must maintain at least the minimum required coverage:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
  • $15,000 per accident for property damage


As an agency we recommend that you carry AT LEAST $100,000 per person, $300,000 per accident and $100,000 for property damage. If a client chooses a lower amount of insurance they could be leaving themselves exposed to potential liability claims that would not be covered by their insurance policy. If a claim isn’t covered above the amount above the coverage any additional amount will be out of savings or future earnings of the insured.


Medical Coverage:

Medical coverage is an optional coverage that provides money for the diver and passengers of your vehicle if in an accident. The coverage is usually a low amount, i.e. $10,000 and is a “per person” coverage. The coverage is not meant to cover all medical expenses but might be able to cover deductibles and co-insurance of one’s health insurance policy.


Collision Coverage:

Collision coverage is not required by law in Oklahoma, but many motorists still choose to include it in their coverage. Additionally, if you choose to finance your vehicle rather than purchase it outright, most lenders will require you to carry collision coverage until the loan is paid off. This part of the insurance policy covers any damage that is done to your vehicle in the event of an accident or a hit and run. Whether you choose to have this coverage and how much coverage you elect will depend on the value of your car. For most new, more expensive cars, many clients want to have more coverage because the cost of repairs is usually higher. For many older cars that do not have as much value, many clients forgo this coverage to save on insurance costs.


Comprehensive Coverage:

Comprehensive coverage is also not required by law in Oklahoma, but again many motorists still choose to include it in their coverage. Also, like collision coverage if the car is financed the lender will require comprehensive coverage until the loan is paid off. This part of the policy will cover the car from “other than collision” physical damage. Comprehensive coverage can include; collision with an animal, vandalism, glass breakage, and vehicle theft. Once again, this coverage is very common for newer cars but can be dropped as the vehicle gets older to save insurance dollars.


Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

This is another type of coverage that is not required, but that many Oklahoma drivers choose to add to their policies. This coverage will protect you, other named insureds, and passengers in the vehicle in the event that you are in an accident with a driver who does not have insurance or does not have enough coverage to take care of the damage done to the occupants of the vehicle. This coverage does not cover damages to your vehicle from an uninsured/underinsured driver it is meant to provide the same coverage as Bodily Injury coverage.

Get A Quote